Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thai 101

I would like to share my "knowledge" of the Thai language. These are all of the important words and phrases I have picked up over the last eight weeks. I don't have a word here for "goodbye" because in Thailand if you say "goodbye" it means that you may never see that person again. Please note that I have written the female versions of certain phrases...if you are male, just replace "ka" with "krup."



Being Polite:

Sawadee Ka = Hello

Kop Khun Ka = Thank you

Chai = Yes

Mai Chai = No

Mai Pen Rai = "It's ok" "It's alright"

Mai Pen Rai, Kop Khun Ka = The "La Shokran" of Thailand... How you say "No thank you."

Food:

Kin Jaay Ka = I am vegetarian

Alloy = Delicious

Alloy Maak Maak = Very delicious

Mai Alloy = Not delicious

Nam Plow = Drinking water

Cow = Rice

Numbers:

Nung = One

Song = Two

Saam = Three

See = Four

Haa = Five

Ho = Six

Jet = Seven

Baad = Eight

Cow = Nine

Sip = 10

Sip Et = 11

Sip Song = 12

Sip Saam = 13

Sip See = 14

Sip Haa = 15

Sip Ho = 16

Sip Jet = 17

Sip Baad = 18

Sip Cow = 19

Yi Sip = 20

Yi Sip Et = 21

Yi Sip See = 24 (my age!)

Saam Sip = 30, 30Baht is equivalent to about $1

See Sip = 40

Haa Sip = 50

Jet Sip = 70

Roi = 100

Song Roi = 200

Saam Roi = 300

See Roi = 400

Haa Roi = =500

Jet Roi = 700

you get the idea...
Random:

Farang = Caucasion Foreigner

Soi = Road

Pang = Expensive

Taaw Lie? = How much?

Mahout = Elephant trainer

Tuk Tuk = A three wheeled taxi
Good-die = OK, you must say the "good" part really fast
Ma-die = Not OK
Mung = O'Clock, Haa Mung is 5 o'clock
Amazingly enough with these few words I have had many Thai people ask me: "You speak Thai?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are off to a great start here! After 6 years of being in Thailand, I am still trying to learn Thai vocabulary and grammar. I think it is a never-ending (but fun) task.

I have been working on a website that has lots of exercises to help you learn more Thai. Feel free to check it out sometime and let me know what you think: http://www.its4thai.com.

Take care and good luck with your studies!