Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Kitchen of the World


I eat most of my meals from street vendors. I must say that most of the time before I eat, I think to myself "I hope this food/drink does not make me sick." But apparently I am very lucky or vegetarian; I'm not sure which is the responsible factor here.

One of the shops in the hospital cafeteria:

For every meal in Thailand you usually eat either rice or noodles. The rice here is either your standard rice or sticky rice. But there are a few different types of noodles.

There are glass noodles which are clear in color and long/skinny.


Then there is the fat, dark noodles that taste a lot like eggs.


There are also dark, long/skinny noodles that are quite stretchy and difficult to cut (not pictured here).

Some of my favorite foods are:

-DragonFruit! (The black and white fruit):

-Rice with Veggies:

-Pad Thai (noodles, sprouts, peanuts, veggies); Sorry, I've eaten numerous times, but have always forgotten to photograph.

-Fried Rice with Cashew Nuts:

-Pad See You (fat noodles, veggies, tofu, some delish sauce and spices)

-Coconut Smoothie:

Som Tum (raw papaya, peanuts, carrots, tomatoes, and sticky rice on the side):

Desserts!:
-Mangos with sticky rice and coconut milk (my personal favorite)

-Fried Bananas topped with something "made from rice:"

-Mini crispy crepes with cream:

Big crispy, sweet crepe:

-Taro balls in coconut milk (similar to Boo Alloy)

-A dessert I didn't really like...I thought it tasted like leaves:

-Coconut ice cream

-Coconut sweet bread

-Boo Alloy, Coconut milk with flavored sticky rice balls! So delicious:

My favorite part about Thai food is all the coconut I get to eat everyday!

And some food I haven't tried:

No comments: