Monday, September 29, 2008

Lamphun & Chiang Mai

Thursday morning I left my apartment at 6am with Ba-Ouwan, P-Kik, and P-Yoo. We drove about four hours to the small town of Lamphun for a ceremony held at the eight hundred year old Wat Phra That Hariphunchai to retire a handful of pharmacists. Unfortunately, we were 45 minutes late for the ceremony and missed the whole thing! However, we did show up in time to receive a free umbrella and snacks. After exploring the wat, we hopped back in the car and headed off to Chiang Mai.

For our first night in Chiang Mai, we stayed at the beautiful, tourist filled Empress Hotel. After checking in, we visited Wat Phra Singh. This wat is home to the "lion Buddha" image. At this wat, we used this contraption to pour some water on the Chedi behind the main temple. P-Kik explained to me to make a wish and if I was able to get the water to the top and successfully poured on the Chedi, that my wish would come true. I succeeded of course!

After visiting the wat, I got to take a nap back at the hotel, while everyone else attended a meeting (all in Thai of course!)

I was glad to have napped, so that I could shop at full strength at Chiang Mai's famous night bazaar.

No comments: