Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Chiang Mai, Part IV



Sunday morning I decided to sleep in after a night out in Chiang Mai. I took advantage of being a tourist town by eating a western breakfast consisting of nut pancakes, fruit, and actual coffee. After my brunch, I grabbed a tuk tuk and headed off to the Three Kings Monument. Next, I visited a wat, although I'm not quite sure what it's name is because I have seen too many wats!




Then I stumbled into Wat Chedi Luang; which I thought was one of the most interesting wats I have visited. This wat was built in 1441 and is now in ruins due to an earthquake in the 16th century.

My tuk tuk driver brought me to Wat Jet Yot next. I liked this wat a lot too. It is quite old, built in the 15th century, and has many shady trees.



My last stop of the day was Wat Suan Dok. This wat had many small, white-washed chedis behind the wat. I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed all of the wats I visited on Sunday because I thought I was all "wat'ed out," but the wats in Chiang Mai were actually quite unique.

At the end of the day, I headed back to Phitsanulok on the bus. On the ride home, the man sitting next to me talked to me for at least an hour...all in Thai. To say the least, I didn't have much to say back to him.

No comments: