Friday, September 5, 2008

Nice to meet you.

On my first day of clerkship rotation P-Kik picked me up and brought me to Buddhachinaraj Hospital, where I will spend the next eight weeks. I met my preceptor, Apple, who is a wonderful pharmacist specializing in neonatology. Apple took me all over the hospital and introduced me to everyone. At first it was difficult to learn all of the Thai names (nicknames, actually), but I think I am getting better. A couple of pharmacists traded off taking me on tours of all of the different pharmacies in the hospital. Apple is excited for everyone at the hospital to practice their English with me. Everyone here has been unbelievably friendly and nice. Pharmacists and Pharm.D students have been so kind to take me out for meals, take me to the supermarket, walk me home, show me around Phitsanulok and offer useful advice about Thailand and Thai culture. I am very lucky to be in such good hands here!

Song, Ann, Pao, & Me...We are working hard at the drug information center:

The hospital consists of many buildings that are connected with outdoor pathways (with covers because it rains a lot). Before entering many of the rooms in the hospital you must remove your shoes and either go barefoot or put on another pair of sandals. Some parts of the hospital are open to the outside (no doors, no glass/screen in windows). The hospital is nice and it is not as hot & humid as I had anticipated (that is in the hospital, it’s even hotter and more humid than I had imagined when I am walking around the city).

Part of the hospital:

Ba-Ouwan (the Director of Pharmacy), P-Kik, and P-Yoo have invited me to join them this Saturday to visit Petchaboon, a city that is two hours away from Phitsanulok. They are having a meeting in Petchaboon later, and we are going to check out the hotel, participate in adventure activities, and shop in the market…but more on that later!

Pharm.D students: Ann, Song, Me, Pao

No comments: