Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Weekend In Phitsanulok

On Saturday Song, May, and I visited the Sergeant Major Folk Museum. We learned about the history of Thai living, farming, cooking, and crafts. Next up we visited the Thai Bird Garden, where we got to see the birds of Thailand, including some endangered species. At the garden, we learned that there are 9,672 types of birds in the world and 946 kinds of birds in Thailand.
Next up we visited Wat Phra Si Ratana Mahathat, the home of Chinnarat Buddha. This Buddha is the most beautiful in all of Thailand. At the temple we also used a traditional fortune teller where you shake a cone full of wooden sticks (see photo of Song below) and number on the first stick that falls out matches with your fortune. I got fortune number seven, which was written in Thai of course; I'll keep the translation a secret!

Outside the wat I tried a delicious drink made from sugarcane, which I drank out of a plastic bag with ice:

No comments: